Each year on 22 April, billions of people across the globe join to raise awareness about environmental protection.
Fifty years ago, the first Earth Day started an environmental revolution. Now, Earth Day has turned into an education revolution to save the planet.
The Earth Day 2022 theme is “Invest In Our Planet.” The theme is focused on engaging the more than one billion people, governments, institutions, and businesses who participate in Earth Day to recognise their collective responsibility and to help accelerate the transition to an equitable, prosperous green economy for all.
It’s time to take the benefit of a green economy by adopting it. All governments need to encourage society, institutions, and businesses to build a framework for supporting a stable future.
Climate change represents the biggest challenge to the future of humanity and the life-support systems that make the world habitable. The Earth and its ecosystems are our home. To achieve a balance among the economic, social, and environmental needs of present and future generations, it is necessary to promote harmony with nature and the Earth.
Now is the time for the unstoppable courage to preserve and protect our health, our families, our livelihoods. Invest In Our Planet.
Actions to make a difference, every day of the year:
• Be part of the change. Change your diet to fight climate change. Try plant-based recipes.
• Reduce meat consumption to curb carbon emissions from the livestock industry.
• Consumer demand for renewable energy sources is one of the most immediate actions to lower carbon footprint and restore the earth.
• Stop deforestation by supporting companies that take an active role against it.
• Calculate personal carbon footprint and make changes to reduce it.
• Use environmentally friendly, non-toxic cleaning products to avoid washing toxic chemicals down the drain.
• Individual and small group clean-ups can have a major positive impact on the community.
• Save electricity and turn off lights when leaving the room.
• Integrate a simple act of green into your daily routine. Take a shorter shower and use a water-saving shower head.
• Practice sustainable fashion. Donate old clothes and home goods instead of throwing them out.
We need to act, innovate, and implement. Businesses, governments, and citizens in partnership for the planet.
“There’s a way to do it better – find it.” – Thomas Edison. For today and for the future – let’s INVEST IN OUR PLANET!
Mzukona Mantshontsho is the founder of Nyakaza Media Solutions. Nyakaza Media Solutions is an organisation that was established to help community organisations, business entities, and schools to research, write, document, report, analyse, edit, publish newsletters or bulletins in hard-copy, on-line and maintain websites with the relevant content as per the editorial policy of that organisation, school or entity.
Nyakaza Media Solutions has a vision to promote and bring dialogue to communities, businesses and schools about issues that affect them.
Nyakaza Media Solutions is on a mission to develop and encourage communities, businesses and learners to celebrate the good, applaud excellence, welcome growth, strive to be better individuals, businesses and communities, want more knowledge, discourage bad and counter-productive behaviour as well as communities, businesses and learners that want to be great SOUTH AFRICANS.
Nyakaza Media Solutions is making use of Yo School Magazine as a platform that learners in all schools to make use of to write their stories.