By Warrant Officer Dave Stanton,
Currently we have not registered an increase in eHailing Taxi related crimes.
Safety Suggestions for Taxi Passengers
1) Rather utilize the segment of eHailing Apps that only accept card payments. This is generally safer than cash accepting segments.
2) Always make sure that the vehicle type, registration number and especially the drivers face, match what is in the Apps description of the taxi driver.
3) Being in possession of Pepper Spray is a good self-defense protocol.
4) Night time traveling should rather be done with a partner.
5) When traveling alone at night, make sure to inform someone that you are en route.
6) If you are compelled to regularly used taxis late at night – search online for security companies that provide a mobile panic button service.
Safety Suggestions for Taxi Drivers
1) Do not accept cash. Only operate on card online payment.
2) Late at night do not accept large groups of passengers. Phone the client after confirming the ride and confirm the number of travellers besides the client.
4) At night, choose your area of operation carefully.
5) Attach a camera (or dummy camera) to your inside rear-view mirror. It’s generally a good deterrent. You can always claim that the camera is on a live stream to a security monitoring company.
Mzukona Mantshontsho is the founder of Nyakaza Media Solutions. Nyakaza Media Solutions is an organisation that was established to help community organisations, business entities, and schools to research, write, document, report, analyse, edit, publish newsletters or bulletins in hard-copy, on-line and maintain websites with the relevant content as per the editorial policy of that organisation, school or entity.
Nyakaza Media Solutions has a vision to promote and bring dialogue to communities, businesses and schools about issues that affect them.
Nyakaza Media Solutions is on a mission to develop and encourage communities, businesses and learners to celebrate the good, applaud excellence, welcome growth, strive to be better individuals, businesses and communities, want more knowledge, discourage bad and counter-productive behaviour as well as communities, businesses and learners that want to be great SOUTH AFRICANS.
Nyakaza Media Solutions is making use of Yo School Magazine as a platform that learners in all schools to make use of to write their stories.