By Sonon Khoza
Soccer and netball are both popular team sports that can have a significant impact on the development and well-being of children and youth, and can also contribute to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The following are some of the ways in which soccer and netball in schools can align with the SDGs:
- Quality Education (SDG 4): Participating in sports like soccer and netball can improve school attendance and academic performance, as well as develop important skills such as teamwork, communication, and leadership.
- Gender Equality (SDG 5): Soccer and netball can provide opportunities for girls to participate in sports, which can help to break down gender stereotypes and promote gender equality.
- Good Health and Well-being (SDG 3): Playing sports like soccer and netball can promote physical fitness, reduce the risk of obesity and chronic diseases, and improve mental health and social well-being.
- Reduced Inequalities (SDG 10): Participation in soccer and netball can provide opportunities for children and youth from diverse backgrounds to come together and build relationships, promoting social cohesion and reducing inequalities.
- Sustainable Communities (SDG 11): School-based soccer and netball programs can promote community engagement and involvement, creating a sense of pride and ownership in the community.
In summary, soccer and netball in schools can contribute to achieving several SDGs by promoting education, gender equality, good health and well-being, reduced inequalities, and sustainable communities.
Mzukona Mantshontsho is the founder of Nyakaza Media Solutions. Nyakaza Media Solutions is an organisation that was established to help community organisations, business entities, and schools to research, write, document, report, analyse, edit, publish newsletters or bulletins in hard-copy, on-line and maintain websites with the relevant content as per the editorial policy of that organisation, school or entity.
Nyakaza Media Solutions has a vision to promote and bring dialogue to communities, businesses and schools about issues that affect them.
Nyakaza Media Solutions is on a mission to develop and encourage communities, businesses and learners to celebrate the good, applaud excellence, welcome growth, strive to be better individuals, businesses and communities, want more knowledge, discourage bad and counter-productive behaviour as well as communities, businesses and learners that want to be great SOUTH AFRICANS.
Nyakaza Media Solutions is making use of Yo School Magazine as a platform that learners in all schools to make use of to write their stories.